Point of Sale (POS) displays are a great way to get visible in front of your target market at a point in time where they can act immediately to purchase your products.
Despite the rise and rise of online shopping, approximately 85% of all purchases worldwide still take place at a physical retail store, meaning that POS displays remain an integral part of effectively marketing your products instore.
- But what is a POS display?
- What advantages do they offer?
- How do you go about making and installing them?
At Pegasus Media & Logistics we specialise in Point-of-Sale production and we have put together this guide to help you understand everything you need to know to hit the ground running with outstanding POS Displays!
What is a POS Display?
A POS display is a great way to draw attention to your product in a retail setting.
They come in all different shapes and sizes and are a great way to generate excitement and demand for your product in a physical setting.
As Howard Schultz, Starbucks CEO, says, “You walk into a retail store, whatever it is, and if there’s a sense of entertainment and excitement and electricity, you wanna be there.”
Using huge pop-up POS displays in the retail sector canbe a very successful high-impact marketing technique, creating a memorable experience and a sense of excitement. This is achieved not only through the use of superb design and originality, but also through the quality of manufacture of a POS display item.
POS displays can also be used as a type of sales promotion in which items are placed near, next to, or on a transactional purchasing area. When used to exhibit or promote convenience items, point of sale displays are most successful.
The purpose of such displays is to capture the attention of consumers to items and encourage them to purchase your products while they are shopping.
A POS display exists apart from typical aisle shelves to give additional facings and more visibility for a product. These displays are frequently found in the middle of huge retail aisles known as “activity alleys,” as well as any place else in the store where there is vacant space.
They can also be displays that are attached to the products shelving within the regular aisles of a shop.
What are the types of POS displays to use in a sales and marketing promotion?
There are a wide variety of POS displays you can incorporate into your marketing that can result in increased sales.
However, POS displays are not just for consumer products in retail stores. The film and TV sector regularly uses these displays to promote new and upcoming releases and to generate excitement around these events.
Charities and Not-For-Profits also use POS displays to collect donations, particularly given the rise of ‘checkout charity’.
The point of any POS display is to draw attention to your product and make the most of your real estate within a retail setting.
This is particularly important in crowded retail stores where buyers are presented with so many different options.
Here are some of the POS displays you can use in your next sale display.
- Counter displays
- Floor displays
- Shelf talkers
- Digital Displays
- Banner Displays
- “Dump Bins”
- Free-Standing Displays
What are some examples of POS displays?
As the list above indicates, POS displays come in all shapes and sizes. Here are just a few examples that SOS has produced for our clients.
What are the advantages of using POS displays?
There are several advantages to using POS displays.
First, they remove your product from the clutter of your home aisle and highlight it in a way that avoids “analysis paralysis,” the sensation a customer gets when the alternatives available to them are overwhelming.
POS displays also provide you additional facings, which improves the probability that a customer will pick your goods over a competitor’s.
Furthermore, POS displays are highly adaptable and come in a variety of forms and sizes. Many different types of POS displays may be set up in one store for a short period of time and then quickly disassembled and rebuilt in another.
How do you make a POS display?
Before you make a POS display, it’s important to consider some important questions:
- What is the intention of the display? Will the display be part of a wider promotion, such as a ‘buy one, get one free’ deal? What sort of products will the display be showcasing?
- Who is the audience going to be for this display? An important part of answering this question is about understanding the type of store your display is going to be in. What sort of people shop there? What benefits of your product are going to appeal to that specific audience?
- Where will the display be used? Will your display be at the register? In the aisle? In the middle of a wide-open space? These questions will help you understand the size and scale you need to achieve to ensure your display stands out and captures attention.
Successful POS displays share the following characteristics:
- They’re well designed: The best POS displays by definition are displays that are eye-catching. It’s important to work with an experienced provider that can help conceptualise a stunning visual and bring it to life.
- They’re well manufactured and constructed: A flimsy-looking POS display is hardly going to impress consumers. A great POS display is sturdily built and made from high-quality materials.
- They’re well placed and installed: Even the best designed and built POS is going to struggle to stand out if it’s placed in a corner of the store that no one goes to.
When making a POS display, it’s important to partner with an experienced and professional printing company that can help you answer the three crucial questions about your display and back that up with exceptional design, manufacturing and installation capabilities.
At SOS Print and Media, we bring decades of experience to our clients and can assist with all facets of POS marketing, from design and conceptualisation, through to high-quality printing, delivery and installation!
SOS is here to assist and at the forefront of the latest innovations in POS displays to ensure that we can help you achieve an end result that not only sells products but has other tangible benefits.
For example, if you are looking to collect data from customers and prospects, our QR code solutions can be incorporated directly onto your POS display and do just that.
We can also assist with digital POS options!