Pegasus Media & Logistics recognise the responsibility that comes with being a major user of resources and have implemented numerous initiatives towards ensuring minimal impact on the environment, contributing to a sustainable industry. We also acknowledge that environmental performance is an important part of Corporate Social Responsibility.
Certifications and Accreditations:
- Pegasus is certified to ISO 14001 and is audited by external third-party sources to ensure any claims made are valid about our sustainable practices and that we are compliant with criteria determined by the assessment process to meet best practice standards and regulations in our industry.
- To support our commitment to environmental sustainability, Pegasus Media & Logistics has attained FSC® (Forest Stewardship Council®) certification. This means that we can promote and use paper and paper-based materials carrying the FSC symbol, meaning that the paper being used originates from sustainable resources and can be traced back to the source, guaranteeing they come from forests which are managed to meet the social, economic, and ecological needs of present and future generations.
Both Alexandria and our Blacktown sites have implemented several other initiatives to minimize its use of energy and any negative impact on the environment:
- Alexandria undertook the first large scale installation of LED lighting in a manufacturing environment in Australia in the early 2000s. Replacing all the fluorescent light tubes with LED lights in our factory was an investment which reduced power consumption by approximately 30%. It also has produced many carbon credits (149 tonnes of CO2 emissions saved per annum).
- A power factor correction device averages and reduces power usage of the factory has been installed at both sites and constantly monitored to always ensure peak efficiency.
- The Alexandria site factory roof has been coated by absorbent material to minimize heat inside the factory and reduce energy requirements.
- Both Alexandria and Blacktown sites use vegetable-based inks. This means reduced consumption of non-renewable sources as well as easier recycling by facilitating the de-inking of paper.
In 2020/21 FY – Pegasus Media & Logistics achieved over 95% recyclability, demonstrating that environmental printing practices do make a difference towards improving and sustaining our environment by saving;
4978 trees – ✔SAVED
1,148,092 kilowatts of power – ✔SAVED
479,506 litres of water – ✔SAVED
242 tonnes of C02 emissions – ✔SAVED
1372 tonnes of landfill – ✔SAVED
And, in 2021/22 we aim to grow these savings even more with new sustainability programs being implemented and better management of our waste streams in addition to working closer with our suppliers and clients regarding waste streams and recycling whilst continuing to work towards lowering our waste to landfill.
FUN FACT: Paper is a biodegradable, renewable and sustainable resource. The paper industry plants more than it harvests and today there are 25 per cent more trees in the developed world than in 1900.
Both Pegasus Media & Logistics sites has always recycled consumables and equipment where possible:
- Paper is recycled through regular pickups by an external contractor. This includes off cuts, waste etc.
- Plates are recycled through regular pickups by an external contractor for recycling.
- Other consumables such as toner, toner cartridges and inks are recycled weekly. In the last couple of years, we have recycled over 7 tons of cartridges and other consumables from our digital production area. We participate in Close The Loop resource recovery programs for our toner cartridges.
Pegasus Media & Logistics will continue to work with suppliers and customers to minimise impact on the environment.
Pegasus Print Group is certified under ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 – aligning both our quality and environmental practices to world-class standards.